Why do you need to obtain a building permit?
Building permits allow your municipality to protect the interests of both individuals and the community as a whole. By reviewing and approving building plans before any work is done, the municipality can ensure that buildings comply with:
- the BC Building Code, which sets standards for the design and construction of buildings to meet objectives such as health, safety, fire protection, accessibility and energy efficiency
- the local zoning by-law and other planning controls on buildings
- other applicable legislation, including Interior Health Authority, Riparian Area Regulations Environmental Sensitive Areas.
When do you need a building permit?
You must obtain a building permit before you:
- construct any new building over ten square meters in area or place another structure, such as a mobile home, on your property
- make renovations or repairs or add to a building
- excavate or construct a foundation
- construct a seasonal building
- construct a retaining wall over 5 feet in height
- installation, alterations and additions to plumbing systems including the installation of solar hot water systems and fire protection sprinkler systems
- placement or removal of fuel storage tanks
- installation of temporary buildings larger than 30 m2 , including fabric covered structures
- installation or alteration of mechanical exhaust and fire protection systems for commercial cooking equipment pursuant to NFPA 96 Ventilation Control and Fire Protection of Commercial Cooking Operations
- construction, installation or alteration of chimneys or fireplaces and solid fuel burning appliances
- construction, additions or alterations of on‐site services for manufactured home parks, campgrounds, recreation vehicle parks, commercial, industrial and multi‐family residential developments
- construction of swimming pool fences
- change of occupancy classification for a building or part of a building
- moving of buildings into or within the District
- construction of a new secondary or accessory suite
- demolition of buildings or structures
- erecting sign structures including awnings, canopies or marquees.
Have questions? We’re here to help. Please contact the Building Division at 250-766-6675 for more information.