Lake Country - Life. The Okanagan Way.

British Columbia, Canada


Flood Recovery FAQs (docks, sandbags & swimming)

  1. My dock is broken, what should I do? What do I do with docks or large debris washed up in front of my property?
    1. Private, damaged docks or pilings are the responsibility of the dock owner for clean up. Private contractors (e.g. pile driving or barge companies) will clean up these materials for a fee. The Province has stated that they will assist with cleanup of orphaned docks (and large woody debris or garbage) on public land or foreshore where there is no clear owner. This work would be done with contracted barges and would commence as soon as lake levels have dropped to a safe level.  In the mean time docks and debris should be left in place as it may be providing additional protection from waves.  See #2 for more information.
  2. Is there any assistance for cleanup of debris on private property? What do I do with debris washed up on my property?
    1. Please leave the debris on the foreshore for now, it will help protect the shore from wave action. The Province will help clean up large woody material, docks (where there is no clear owner) and garbage from public land or the foreshore, but not from private land.  This will not happen until the lake level has dropped to an appropriate level.  There are several options for cleanup from private land:
      1. If possible, large woody debris could be floated to the nearest public beach access for removal by city crews.
      2. Small woody debris can be placed in your yard waste bin or taken to the Glenmore landfill for no charge as “yard waste”. See #7 below. Regular tipping fees apply for larger debris or garbage.
  3. I have spotted debris in the middle of the lake, should I report it?
    1. The province will not be picking up debris until it has washed up on the shore.
  4. What do I do with my sandbags?
    1. Identify your location in the sandbag app. The Emergency Operation Centre in cooperation with Emergency Management BC launched a digital tool that uses crowd sourcing to help inventory the number, location and type the sandbags on private and public property.
    2. Residents are requested to add sandbags to the inventory by visiting the Emergency Management BC application:
      1. Make sure you allow the app to access your current location.
      2. Click Start
      3. Fill in prompt boxes with information including the number, type of sandbags, name, phone number, photos (if desired) and comments.
      4. Complete all questions and click Submit
      5. Personal information added into the app such as the name, phone number and comments will not show publically on the map.
    3. This data will be used for planning and assessment of the demobilization of flood protection measures. As plans are developed information on the removal of sandbags from public and private property including debris management will be posted at
    4. Crews will remove the sandbags as time permits and the water recedes. You can remove the sandbags yourself and dispose of them at the disposal sites identified on the CORD Emergency website.  More information will be posted at the CORD website as the lakes recede.
  1. Can I use the sand from the sandbags? How do I dispose of sandbags?
    1. Disposal of sand near lakes or creeks is an offence and prohibited by the Water Sustainability Act.
    2. You can use sand on your lawn or landscaping, if placed well away from watercourses.  Sandbags can also be returned to the sandpile location in the parking lot area of Beasley Park (3450 Woodsdale Rd, Lake Country)  (or see list of disposal sites identified on the CORD Emergency website). More information will be posted at the CORD website as the lakes recede.
  2. Is the water in the lakes safe for swimming?
    1. Interior Health regularly tests major swimming beaches for beach water quality, in partnership with local governments. Test results are available at the IHA website. At the current time (June 28, 2017) all test results are within acceptable levels.  However, be aware that many beaches are still closed to the public due to protective works, or hazardous materials (e.g. debris). Also be aware there may be hazards due to floating debris in the water.  
  3. Is there a charge at the landfill for woody debris?
    1. See below for information regarding Glenmore Landfill.  More information is available at
      1. There is no charge for the disposal of yard waste totaling less than 250 kgs.
      2. Yard trimmings include grass clippings, leaves, hedge clippings, flowers, vegetable stalks, fruit and vegetable waste and twigs less than 5 cm in circumference.  Loads over 250 kgs are assessed at $40.00 per metric tonne fee for disposal.
      3. Prunings over 5 cm in circumference and less than 20 cm (8″) in diameter, with or without leaves or needles attached, are charged at $10.00 per metric tonne.
      4. Logs, limbs and branches greater than 20 cm in diameter are accepted at $10.00 per metric tonne.  Logs, limbs and branches must be cut to a maximum length of 4 feet.  (No rocks or soil.)
      5. Stumps cut at ground level, with rocks and soil removed from roots are accepted at $65.00 per metric tonne.
      6. Mixed loads will be charged based upon the highest cost material in the load and assessed at an extra $50.00 per metric tonne handling/sorting fee.
  1. What safety information is there for boaters?
    1. Boaters are being advised to practice no wake – low wake activities if venturing onto Kalamalka Lake, Okanagan Lake, Wood Lake and Duck/Ellison Lake. Maps indicating no wake and low wake areas of the lake are available on Boaters are being advised to be extremely cautious on the lake and to watch for debris.

Lake Country Highlights_header

Newsletter Subscription


I am interested in:

I am a (resident, visitor, business owner, employee):

Subscribe Unsubscribe