Lake Country - Life. The Okanagan Way.

British Columbia, Canada


October 13th Start for Open Burning in the Central Okanagan

Open burning season in the Central Okanagan will begin at 5:00 pm Friday, October 13th when air quality and venting conditions are good for those property owners obtaining a permit from their local fire authority. 

Under Regional District and local fire bylaws permitted open burning season may start October 1st and must be complete on April 30th.  This year, Central Okanagan fire chiefs decided with the elevated fire hazard to postpone issuing permits until October 13. 

Eligible property owners must obtain a burning permit from their local fire department.*  Those eligible to burn within the four Central Okanagan East or Central Okanagan West electoral area fire protection areas (Ellison, Joe Rich, North Westside, Wilson’s Landing) may call the Regional District at 250-469-6223  to obtain a permit.  (Long Distance Collect Calls are accepted weekdays only between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, excluding holidays).

Before lighting any fire, property owners with a valid permit must call the toll-free Outdoor Burning Hotline:  1-855-262-2876 (BURN) to determine if open burning is allowed on a particular day.  Both the Venting and Air Quality conditions must be good in order for burning to occur within Central Okanagan fire jurisdictions.  This information will also be available each day after 8:00 am at

Those property owners with permits should follow these Best Practices to reduce smoke:

  • If conditions allow open burning, ignite fires after 10:00 am when venting conditions are usually more favourable;
  • Pruning’s, branches and stumps must be dried for a minimum of two years;
  • Make smaller piles with good air ventilation for more efficient burning.

Under the Regional District Smoke Control Bylaw, nuisance smoke from open burning is not allowed in the City of Kelowna, the District of Lake Country, City of West Kelowna and the Central Okanagan East and West Electoral Areas or under the bylaws of the District of Peachland.  Yard waste such as leaves, pine needles, grass clippings, weeds and other garden waste are not allowed to be burned.

Violators could receive a fine or be charged with the cost of putting out the fire.  Residents are encouraged to report anyone illegally burning on a non-burning day by calling the Regional Fire Dispatch Center at 250-469-8577.

Online Survey:  The Regional Air Quality Program is proposing new bylaws to reduce smoke in the Okanagan, which could see further restrictions imposed on open burning. It’s looking for input from those who obtain burning permits to help shape investments in programs and alternative options that prevent local air pollution. The results from this online survey will be included in a smoke reduction strategy proposal for consideration by the Regional District of Central Okanagan.   Have Your Say online and complete the survey before Sunday, November 19th.

All Central Okanagan property owners are encouraged to use other clean air options to dispose of their yard waste.  

  • The bi-weekly curbside yard waste collection program is underway through November 30th and residents are reminded to only place leaves, grass, pine needles and small pruning’s inside their wheeled yard waste cart with the green lid closed. 
  • Residents may also use the free yard waste drop off program at the Glenmore landfill until December 31st.  It’s open from 7:30 am to 4:45 pm daily (closed Dec. 15, 16, Jan. 1) and up to 250 kilograms/550 pounds and 20 centimeters or less in diameter may be dropped off for free.  Fees apply to yard waste loads exceeding the free maximum weight and diameter). Starting in January 2018, fees will apply to all yard waste dropped off at the Glenmore landfill.  Fees apply for yard waste disposal at the Westside Residential Waste Disposal Centre off Asquith Road in West Kelowna (Open 7:30 am to 3:50 pm Friday through Monday).  When transporting loads for disposal, please make sure they are covered. 
  • A number of private companies offer wood chipping and grinding services or rent portable chippers.  Some may also pick up yard waste for disposal.

Under Provincial Right to Farm legislation agricultural burning is allowed and it accounts for most of the burning permits issued in the Central Okanagan.   Before starting any fire, farmers must call 1-855-262-2876 (BURN) or visit to ensure burning can take place on a particular day.  As an alternate disposal method, the Regional Air Quality Program is working with farmers to encourage using the Agricultural Chipping Program.   The program offers a Best Management Practices handbook and DVD to help farmers.  Funding is still available for agricultural producers who wish to participate in the chipping program.   Please contact the Regional Air Quality Coordinator at 250-469-8408 or email

Central Okanagan residents are reminded to check with their local fire jurisdiction regarding regulations and restrictions regarding campfires, chimineas and other outdoor wood fire burning devices.  Campfires are not allowed at any time within the City of Kelowna.

Lake Country Highlights_header

Newsletter Subscription


I am interested in:

I am a (resident, visitor, business owner, employee):

Subscribe Unsubscribe