For several thousand years before the first white settlers arrived in the Okanagan Valley in the early nineteenth century, the Interior Salish lived undisturbed. They called Carr’s Landing Cus-in-so-nook, meaning Place of Fickle Women. The early pioneers called it Sunnywold.
By 1901 Andrew Carr, a Civil War veteran from Illinois, and his wife Agnes had built their home just north of where the Geen’s fruit packing house stands today. The Carr’s Landing wharf was built below the house and the old pilings can still be seen at Marshall Park where sailing lessons are now held each summer. Settlers such as the Carr’s, Thorlakson’s and Gibson’s farmed close to the lake and ranchers like Joseph Cools ran cattle into the Charolais area.
The small Sunnywold School opened off Commonage Road and became a focal point for the new community, but for several decades whilst Vernon, Kelowna, and even Winfield, grew rapidly, Carr’s Landing remained a quiet rural, farming community.
Coral Beach was one of the first areas to be subdivided in the early 1960s, and much development has occurred since then. In true ‘pioneering’ spirit, the new residents of Coral Beach established the first unofficial fire department in the area. Volunteers were taught to pull second hand hose from a trailer that carried a gas powered water pump, and even constructed a ‘fire hall’ to house the trailer. Much new development occurred during the 70s and 80s and whereas the very early settlers came predominately from the USA and the United Kingdom, our population now comes from all over Canada and the world to create a community even richer in human resources.