Lake Country - Life. The Okanagan Way.

British Columbia, Canada


Access Permit

An Access Permit is required to construct a driveway to your building site to ensure the location and grade does not create a safety hazard and does not damage public infrastructure. We also need to ensure that emergency vehicles can access the site.  Access Permit applications (the fee for which is $50) are normally completed as part of the Building Permit or Development Permit process and should be accompanied by a current Certificate of Title, Site Plan from the Layout Approval showing the location, alignment and grade of the driveway, details of facilities ensuring site drainage is kept on site and showing proposed construction within the right-of-way, and a survey or any other geotechnical information required by the District.

Blasting Permit

On August 16, 2016 Council adopted Blasting Bylaw 965, 2016 setting out regulations for blasting in Lake Country. Blasting permits can be issued for 90-days and will require a pre-blast survey, notifications and reporting. Council also put fines of $500 in place for failing to comply with the bylaw by adopting MTI Amendment Bylaw 966, 2016 and Bylaw Notice Enforcement Amendment Bylaw 967, 2016.  For more information see the Blasting Permit Application & Guidelines.

Building Permit

Complete the Building Permit Application. Building Permit applications take approximately 3-6 weeks to process and fees vary according to the value of construction, size and type of structure. Building Permits are issued in compliance with the Lake Country’s Building Regulation Bylaw and the BC Building Code.  

Additional information may be required during the process including a Water-Sewer Connection Application, Access Application and a State of Title Certificate.

After a Building Permit is issued, a series of site inspections are required to ensure that construction conforms to the minimum standards of the Building Code.

Development Permit

Development Permits are a planning tool for sites, buildings and structures that warrant special protection or development control. These Permits must be approved by Council and may require some form of security to ensure that conditions in the permit have been met.  Development Permits are governed by the Development Application Procedures Bylaw 99-240.  Complete and sign the Application for Development and gather the required documents

Development Permit Areas can be designated for purposes such as, but not limited to, the following:

  • Protection of the natural environment, its ecosystems and biological diversity
  • Protection of development from hazardous conditions
  • Protection of farming
  • Establishment of objectives for the form and character of commercial, industrial or multi-family residential development.

When is a Development Permit required?
A Development Permit must be obtained prior to subdivision, construction, alteration of land, soil deposit or removal, or any other development or activity that would impact on any of the elements protected by a Development Permit. Residents are advised to contact Planning staff before making any alteration to their land to determine if a Permit is required.

Maps 12 to 22 of the Official Community Plan outline the various Development Permit areas in Lake Country.

See a SAMPLE Application for Development, Site Plan and Landscaping Plan.

Sign Permit

Sign Permits are required for most signs within the District to ensure that they are aesthetically pleasing and add to the architectural integrity of the building and area in which they are located.

To apply for a sign permit, complete an application that conforms to the Signage Regulation Bylaw, along with the application fee of $50, must be submitted to the District.

Soil Removal Permit

Lake Country’s Soil Regulation Bylaw regulates the removal and deposition of soil (including sand, gravel, rock, etc.) from or on land within Lake Country. A Soil Removal or Deposit Application permit is required for the import and export of all soil, except:

  • on a land parcel less than 0.4ha (1 acre) in size; or
  • for the construction for a building less than 930m2 (10,011 sq. feet) in size or for landscaping of a property with a building less than 930m2.

Where a permit is required, a fee of $0.50 per cubic metre of soil must be paid.


Lake Country Highlights_header

Newsletter Subscription


I am interested in:

I am a (resident, visitor, business owner, employee):

Subscribe Unsubscribe